Saturday, May 11, 2013

How to Think As/Like a Player/DM

Hack & Slash is a constant font of gaming knowledge. This is yet another treatise on how to think as/like a player and just as important how to think as/like a DM.

Some gaming buds and myself get together maybe one Friday a month to throw dice and nerd out. Several weeks ago it was mentioned that maybe we ought to do a Kickstarter of our own. Last night we spent about 2 hours chatting and beginning to figure the bones of it. I hope it remains a lasting interest because it was my want to design a game - inspired by Blade Raiders - that got me gaming with them in the first place.

It seems the general concensus of our first discussion is that we want it to be quite simple, and hopefully by that same respect, rather customizable. The idea is that the target age group, about 12-16 or so, can do "choose your own adventure" style single-player adventures, or get together with a DM as usual. We don't want a bunch of thick, clunky, convoluted rulebooks with table after table of numbers. I can't say it's a shared viewpoint of all gamers, but for me personally I want to get down to playing through a story, not consulting the book at every turn. I think if you need a "rules lawyer" you can't see the forest for the trees. Am I right?

No comments:

Post a Comment