Saturday, July 6, 2013

Ain't Got No Class

As I was struggling to develop a Skills web - made increasingly more difficult by not having complete Skill categories and subcategories - I happened to concoct these

Web


I don't know how/if this will work with tracking skill progression. My brain automatically wants to cover skills per class and I can't seem to make it not do that, try as I might.

The upper left figure breaks it down into 3 classes or life-paths of Warrior, Rogue, and Mage, which would in turn require choosing which element you're naturally talented in.

The center figure was part of my original idea for Skills radiating outward into different categories. 12 gives plenty of options, but too many choices makes for a harder decision and might lead to "level grinding" to achieve multiple perks.

Then the lower right figure is something I tried by halving the options to only 6. It might make for easier tracking, but sadly, although I created this web, I can hardly explain it to myself.

So for simplicity's sake I changed from hexes to diamonds. Apparently fewer corners = less irritation.


Again, my instinct is to classify classes first, with suited skills following. While 4 classes covers the bare bones, it seems a little too boiler plate. So in a stroke of what I would hope to call genius, I expanded from 4 to 8, with the "in between" classes encompassing features of the bookend classes.

So you tell me; does it work?

1 comment:

  1. Do few classes, but make sure their abilities can be combined, then allow dualclasses. Look at GW1 for a really good example of this.

    ReplyDelete